We all have our own idiosyncrasies in regard to food. Some like it hot, some like it cold; some like meat and potatoes, some like salads; some love chocolate and can’t comprehend why others don’t. My dad loved to eat and enjoyed every food that was placed before him except one—cucumbers. He hated them with a passion because, as a boy growing up on a farm in Arkansas, he and his brother had to gather up all of the rapidly decomposing cucumbers that had been destroyed by an early frost and feed them to the hogs. He didn’t even like to tell the story because the horrific smell of all of those rotten cucumbers was a memory that stayed with him throughout his entire life. I’m a bit more selective than my dad in my dislike of certain foods (some would say picky!) but unlike him, I don’t even have a good reason to justify my tastes, or lack thereof. When I say I don’t like cheese most people think I’m crazy, but I do have a few friends out there of like mind. However, when I say I don’t like honey it seems as if I’m alone. Who in their right mind doesn’t like honey? Me! So I was very surprised when an angel showed up in a dream one night and gave me a jar of honey to eat. Hesitant at first, I tasted it and was amazed that I liked it—in fact, it was delicious. I was especially glad to have learned that I enjoy the heavenly version when, shortly thereafter at a Come Up Higher conference in Fresno, honey manifested in the Spirit and we were instructed to eat it.
When Paul Cox was still a Baptist pastor, sometime around 1987, he had what he felt was his first significant spiritual encounter. One day as he was having his personal daily devotions he read Proverbs 24:13-14, Eat honey my son, for it is good; honey from the comb is sweet to taste. Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off. At the time he didn’t know what an anointing was, let alone what it felt like, so he likened the experience to having bells and whistles going off in his head. Years later, at the beginning of 2010, he received a prophetic word for the coming year from Raylene Zendejas which included the same verses. She had not been aware of their significance to Paul.
Within a few weeks honey was referenced again in a prophetic word received by Jana Green, “You must be born from here…There is no turning back…we are rediscovering something. There is new revelation…you all hold a key. You will confirm it in scripture. It is the pure honey of the Word. New dimensions.” Scripture—the words of the Lord—as in Psalm 119:103, How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
In prior years there had been other references to honey.
• In April 2005, Mimi Lowe received the word, “Ask for your destiny; ask for your inheritance; ask for what was deliberately given away by your ancestors. There was a deliberate act of handing over, of giving away, of disbelief for not believing that God would fulfill His word. Close the door that they opened and open the door for the righteous blessing to come in, for you have the keys; you have the keys; you have the keys to open and to shut. The tree of life—the tree of life…” At this point Paul interjected, “Something is coming now that is very important.” Mimi continued, “Receive from the tree of life; receive the honey dew—the dew from heaven that is like honey. The bees are buzzing; the bees are buzzing; the bees are buzzing.”
• Also from Mimi in March 2006; “Discernment is being dispensed; discernment is being dispensed. But you must come higher, higher, higher. Let go! Let go! Let go! Higher! Don’t be afraid to let go. Come on up, come on up, come on up. Come and see the wheels, come and see the wheels. Come for a ride. We want to take you into a supernatural realm, which is the natural realm. We want to take you places you’ve never been before. Just receive—receive, receive, receive—receive what is being dispensed to you. The honey. The dew. Let us stir you up, stir you up, stir you up. Receive the manna.” (Note, And the house of Israel called its name Manna. And it was like white coriander seed, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.)
• From Persis Tiner in October 2006, “As you’ve heard, this is the new time. This is the new season. For the books of time, the old books are closed. The new book of remembrance—it is a new book, not a new chapter…You can’t turn back. The separation of the old and new—it’s like a plastic curtain that separates your new life and the old life. You cannot go back…there’s something about unity… that unity brings a cup on each of us that have gold and he’s going to pour out that gold and honey of revelation over us, as we need. Don’t break the unity that has been brought here. The angel is pouring gold and honey over us. There’s a pitcher-like thing that is permanent and periodically the angels will stir it.”
• In November 2008 a group of Joel’s Well friends were together when an angel showed up with a message and a time of revelation and exploration ensued:
Sally: “Light, light, light and sound, light and sound. Angels with light and sound. They’re here now.” Meanwhile Sally was going around in a circle and thinks she had a vat full of some unidentified substance that was really heavy. “I’ll put it down. I think its honey.” She sat down on floor, put the vat down, and invited everyone to come and taste and see.
Larry and Paul embraced—bonding.
Paul and Mike embraced—bonding.
Larry: “Love conquers all,” as Paul again fell into Larry’s and Mike’s arms. Larry mentioned the bond between David and Jonathon, and then Paul released the men and embraced Pastor Patti.
Jana: “It’s strength for the battle.”
Paul, now unable to move and stuck to the table as Larry, Mike and Persis held him up asked, “What does this have to do with honey?”
Carrie mentioned Winnie the Pooh and Paul responded, “and Tigger too.” (It certainly sounds as if they were having fun!)
Sally: “When you talk about protection, I still see a honeycomb but it’s dripping.”
Jana looked up the word “honey” which means provision.
Faye: “Honey was always healing for me.”
Paul: “It never deteriorates, nor does it get contaminated.” And then he wondered aloud, “Is the honeycomb inside the Mighty Ones? We’ve seen the yellow light inside the tree; honeycombs are in the trees.”
And so it continued, with the group sharing various scriptures that had to do with honey.
Paul’s reference to the Mighty Ones is further clarified by his description of the initial encounter with them.
I was in North Carolina a few years ago when the Lord first revealed to us the Mighty Ones. Just before I left for my trip, an intercessor told me that the Lord would show me a new spiritual being on my left side, 90 degrees in front of me. While conducting the school, I perceived something in front of me to the left and we got the words “Mighty Ones.” Those in the school said they looked like trees. They seemed to be like a cedar tree with a hollow center. Because of the supernatural nature of the Mighty Ones, they also appeared to change shape into men with gold helmets with red and purple feathers with honey dripping down over them. We also noticed that our faces were hot! Isaiah 13:2-8 (NKJV) says: Lift up a banner on the high mountain, raise your voice to them; wave your hand that they may enter the gates of the nobles. I have commanded My sanctified ones; I have also called My mighty ones for My anger—those who rejoice in My exaltation.” The noise of a multitude in the mountains, like that of many people! A tumultuous noise of the kingdoms of nations gathered together! The LORD of hosts musters the army for battle. They come from a far country, from the end of Heaven—the LORD and His weapons of indignation, to destroy the whole land. Wail, for the day of the LORD is at hand! It will come as destruction from the Almighty. Therefore all hands will be limp, every man’s heart will melt, and they will be afraid. Pangs and sorrows will take hold of them; they will be in pain as a woman in childbirth; they will be amazed at one another; their faces will be like flames.”
Time and again references to honey seem to occur during episodes of revelation, which is consistent with the references of both Ezekiel and John as they received divine revelation.
• Ezekiel 3:3—And He said to me, “Son of man, feed your belly, and fill your stomach with this scroll that I give you.” So I ate, and it was in my mouth like honey in sweetness.
• Revelation 10:9-10—So I went to the angel and said to him, “Give me the little book.” And he said to me, “Take and eat it; and it will make your stomach bitter, but it will be as sweet as honey in your mouth.” Then I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. But when I had eaten it, my stomach became bitter.
During an Intern Week in July 2010, Lewis Crompton was discerning that they were in a very unpleasant ungodly depth. As he received a message from an angel he realized, “Now we are being taken out of there. We are flying; going to a place of revelation. Now it is gone—the dark place is gone. Lord we praise and exalt your name. It’s a heavenly place. I am being taken through a honeycomb…” As the word continued Paul Cox discerned Melchizedek’s presence with “prayers going up, shooting up for us, going to the Father; he’s standing as high priest; intercession for the revelation.” Lewis continued with the angelic message, “My people have judged the time by the darkness. They have decided their position according to the darkness. Their perception was too small, and they did not realize I have the whole universe; that I hold the whole of time so that their understanding led them into darkness. Their perceptions led them into being trapped; false perceptions, multiple perceptions, formularized, demonized, customized, summarized; inferior copies were made, without will, without purpose, without understanding.” What an amazing example of the truth of Psalm 119:7-11, The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward. This whole experience was in the context of a deliverance session in which a young man received significant healing, illustrating the sweetness and healing properties of honey as related in Proverbs 16:22-24, Understanding is a wellspring of life to him who has it. But the correction of fools is folly. The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and adds learning to his lips. Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
In April 2011 honey started manifesting on hands. Paul wrote in an email, “I have been having spiritual honey show up in my hands recently. It is very sticky. It happened the first day of the Come Up Higher conference in Jacksonville, FL and again yesterday during deliverance. I do not fully understand why. It does seem tied to a new level of deliverance???” Then it happened again at the first Come Up Higher webinar at Sagebrush Ranch in June, with most of us there examining our shiny, sticky hands in awe; and about a week later, during an Intern Week at Collingwood, Mimi Lowe observed as “an angelic being is pouring stuff on each one of us. Like honey…”
In May 2011, Paul Cox, Persis Tiner and Barbara Parker spent several hours on a conference call in which the LORD took them into new realms of deliverance in regard to ungodly generational trading that had been done at the gates. At one point Paul discerned a whirlwind swarming with flies that had to do with Beelzebub coming off of the generational line (Beelzebub in Hebrew is literally “Lord of the Flies” ). He began to feel very fatigued and Barbara, recalling the question regarding honey and deliverance, suggested that he ask the Lord to apply honey. Paul did and immediately he not only felt better but also discerned that the whirlwind stopped and thousands upon thousands of flies were coming off and rushing upward. Is this spiritual evidence of the strengthening effects of honey, as experienced in the physical realm by Jonathon? Now all the people of the land came to a forest; and there was honey on the ground. And when the people had come into the woods, there was the honey, dripping; but no one put his hand to his mouth, for the people feared the oath. But Jonathan had not heard his father charge the people with the oath; therefore he stretched out the end of the rod that was in his hand and dipped it in a honeycomb, and put his hand to his mouth; and his countenance brightened…Look now, how my countenance has brightened because I tasted a little of this honey.
I wrote the above paragraph two days ago, retrieving the information from notes taken at the time. I had completely forgotten about honey as an antidote to fatigue. Then yesterday, in the midst of a ministry session, the young man for whom we were praying began complaining of feeling dizzy saying that it felt like he was in a whirlwind. I thought, “why not try it?” So I suggested he ask the Lord to apply honey and, amazingly, he immediately felt better! Surely there are spiritual aspects to honey that go way beyond our comprehension.
We’ve seen that the eating of honey is a pleasurable, and even life-sustaining experience, yet the wise father of Proverbs uses it to encourage his son to balance the pursuit of pleasure with the pursuit of wisdom, and to seek after pleasure in moderation.
• Proverbs 24:13-14—My son, eat honey because it is good, And the honeycomb which is sweet to your taste; So shall the knowledge of wisdom be to your soul; If you have found it, there is a prospect, And your hope will not be cut off.
• Proverbs 25:16—Have you found honey? Eat only as much as you need, Lest you be filled with it and vomit.
• Proverbs 25:27—It is not good to eat much honey; So to seek one’s own glory is not glory.
Honey may also symbolize sexual pleasure, in both positive and negative connotations:
• Song of Solomon 4:11—Your lips, O my spouse, Drip as the honeycomb; Honey and milk are under your tongue; And the fragrance of your garments Is like the fragrance of Lebanon.
• Song of Solomon 5:1—I have come to my garden, my sister, my spouse;I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk.
• Proverbs 5:3—For the lips of an immoral woman drip honey, And her mouth is smoother than oil.
The value of honey cannot be understated—there are 20 NKJV references to Canaan as a land flowing with milk and honey, as well as multiple scriptures that designate honey as a precious gift or valuable commodity.
• Genesis 43:11—And their father Israel said to them, “If it must be so, then do this: Take some of the best fruits of the land in your vessels and carry down a present for the man—a little balm and a little honey, spices and myrrh, pistachio nuts and almonds.
• Deuteronomy 8:7-9—For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, that flow out of valleys and hills; a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive oil and honey; a land in which you will eat bread without scarcity, in which you will lack nothing; a land whose stones are iron and out of whose hills you can dig copper.
• 2 Kings 18:32—… a land like your own land, a land of grain and new wine, a land of bread and vineyards, a land of olive groves and honey…
• 2 Chronicles 31:5—As soon as the commandment was circulated, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of grain and wine, oil and honey, and of all the produce of the field; and they brought in abundantly the tithe of everything.
• Ezekiel 16:3—Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate pastry of fine flour, honey, and oil. You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty.
• Ezekiel 27:17—Judah and the land of Israel were your traders. They traded for your merchandise wheat of Minnith, millet, honey, oil, and balm.
To some, Isaiah’s references to honey may represent deprivation, as he prophesies both the coming of Immanuel and the destruction that is imminent. I prefer to view honey in these difficult times as God’s provision in the midst of tragedy. How much worse things would have been would have been without it! Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings. The LORD will bring the king of Assyria upon you and your people and your father’s house—days that have not come since the day that Ephraim departed from Judah.” And it shall come to pass in that day that the LORD will whistle for the fly that is in the farthest part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria. They will come, and all of them will rest in the desolate valleys and in the clefts of the rocks, and on all thorns and in all pastures. In the same day the Lord will shave with a hired razor, with those from beyond the river with the king of Assyria, the head and the hair of the legs, and will also remove the beard. It shall be in that day that a man will keep alive a young cow and two sheep; so it shall be, from the abundance of milk they give, that he will eat curds; for curds and honey everyone will eat who is left in the land. It shall happen in that day, that wherever there could be a thousand vines worth a thousand shekels of silver, it will be for briers and thorns. With arrows and bows men will come there, because all the land will become briers and thorns.
Some might also view John the Baptist’s diet of locusts and wild honey with a sense of deprivation. But how much better to realize that John, as the forerunner of Jesus, was simply living out prophetically the teaching of his LORD that had yet to be spoken, Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. What better example could we ask for of God’s provision in the midst of obedience to His commands?
Honey continues to manifest in ongoing ministry sessions and meetings. Many have discerned it when the glory of the LORD is evident, and we continue to observe it in new ways. Frequently, honey appears as deliverance and healing are accomplished in a person’s life. Just yesterday a lady for whom I was praying received a new robe of purple and blue that was trimmed in gold—it was seen to be alive and fluid or moving, and the golden trim appeared to be honey.
In the classic story Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree, cute-and-cuddly-but-hungry little Winnie the Pooh discovers his honey jar is nearly empty and takes off on a quest to get some more. Now that I’ve tasted the real thing I find that I too want more and my prayer is, “LORD, keep my jar full and pour your honey out upon me!”